How To Use Beard Oil
Beard oil has many benefits for the hair and the skin underneath. It moisturizes, prevents beardruff, stops itching, and will make your beard easier to style. This post will guide you on how to apply beard oil and some tips and tricks.
When Should Beard Oil be applied?
Beard oil can be applied anytime during the day however we find a good time is after a shower because this is when the beard is clean and the pores are open. We generally nowadays apply beard oil once in the morning and once in the evening and we find this sufficient but depending on how thirsty (Dry) your beard is, during the day you might need to apply more.
This can be affected by what you do during the day and if you are exposed to outside elements like temperature, dirt and dust. Post washing we find applying beard oil before any other product is more effective than say applying a balm or butter then oil. This is because both the balm and butter are designed to lock in the moisture provided by the beard oil and it can be difficult to get the oil right down to the skin if these products have already been applied.
We recommend washing with our beard wash before applying beard oil for the best results. After washing, gently dry with a towel, you can leave the hair slightly damp or apply to a fully dry beard.
What Amount of Beard Oil Should be used?
The amount of beard oil you apply depends on the length and thickness of your beard. It can also come down to personal preference. A rough guideline could be 1 to 2 sprays for new a beard of up to 1 month of growth, 3 to 4 spray for 1 to 3 months of growth, and 5 to 6 sprays for 3-12 months of growth and so on. Some skin can be dryer than others and requires more oil to keep things balance we recommend starting of with less and adding more if required, as its easier to add more than remove excess.
If you are a new to using beard oil, apply a little at first, then more as you get used to applying. The outcome should be a shiny, fully coated, itche-free and softer beard.
How Often Should Beard Oil Be Used?
How often you use beard oil depends on various factors. You can use beard oil as many times as you like but we would recommend 1 to 3 times daily for best results in keeping irritation and itchiness at bay.
Some men will use it occasionally and according to their preference e.g. when they feel like doing so, get itchy, or are going out.
How to disperse the Beard Oil
We've made it easy to disperse our beard oil with a handy pump top. You can either spray this into the palms of your hands then apply through your beard, or you can spray the product directly into different areas of your beard and work it through the hair with your hands or beard brush/com.
How to Apply Beard Oil
- Squirt or drop the oil on your palm and spread the oil evenly between both hands and fingers or you can squirt the oil directly into your beard hair. A good rule of thumb is to start with 2 - 3 squirts and add more if required.
- Using your fingers, palms, beard comb or brush, work the beard oil down to the skin and massage evenly through the beard hair.
- Use your fingers to coat any moustache hairs.
- Follow up by using a beard comb or brush to style (Optional)
- Repeat process as many times as required throughout the day.
- We recommend applying beard balm after applying beard oil for a bit more hold and conditioning to the facial hair, this however is also personal preference.
Finish/Combing Your Beard
Benefits of combing and brushing your beard hair include:
- Ingrown hair prevention
- Making your beard appear fuller
- Keeping stray hairs from getting into your mouth and it helps to train growth in the desired direction
- Combing your beard spreads the oil evenly throughout the entire beard hair.
You can check out our beard comb and brush range here and our beard oil range here